Welcome to the official website of the Alabama Academy of Science!
The objectives of the Academy are to:
- Promote the development of interest in scientific matters in the state,
- Provide means for publication of papers and abstracts,
- Provide opportunity for increased cooperation and fellowship among its members,
- Cooperate with other organizations having similar aims,
- Render public service in scientific matters,
- Promote the interest in and study of science by the youth of Alabama,
- Provide for and award scholarships to deserving youth of Alabama.
In fulfilling these objectives, the Alabama Academy of Science is devoted to nearly
all aspects of science and science education. We invite you to join in
our programs and support our activities.
News and Updates
- Make a special donation for the Alabama Junior Academy of Science by clicking the PayPal "Donate" button below. Simply enter the donation amount into the form that appears when you click the button. All proceeds will be given to the Alabama Junior Academy of Science.
- The program for the 91st Annual Meeting, Auburn University, Mar 12-14, 2014 is available now.
The Fall 2013 Executive Committee Meeting will be held at Samford University on Saturday, November 9th.
Please visit the Fall Executive Committee meeting page for additional details.
Also, you may view the meeting agenda and the
Minutes from the Spring 2013 Executive Committee Meeting.
- The 91st Annual Meeting of the Alabama Academy of Science will be held Mar 12-14, 2014 at Auburn University.
The title submission and on-line registration websites are now closed, but these will be opened January 3rd
and February 10th, 2014 respectively. Early registration, with appropriate discounts, will be closed
March 3rd with on-site registration available Thursday, March 13th and Friday, March 14th. Credit card,
PayPal, and check payments will be accepted at on-site registration.
- This year's annual meeting at Samford University was a great success -- with an excellent line-up of
speakers during the symposium as well as the individual section presentations. Here is a list of the winners
of the student paper and poster research competitions: 2013-Paper Poster Winners.pdf
- The schedule of talks for the Friday morning symposium on "A Beautiful Mind, Brain, Consciousness..." is available at the following link: Symposium Schedule
- The 90th annual meeting of the Alabama Academy of Science was held March 20-22, 2013 on the campus of Samford University, Birmingham, AL
The local arrangements contact was Dr. Ron Hunsinger. The final program is available now: AAS Program 2013 Meeting Booklet FINAL.pdf.
The Fall 2012 Executive Committee Meeting was held at Samford University on October 6th. Please visit the Fall Executive Committee meeting page for additional details. Also, you may view the Minutes from the Spring 2012 Executive Committee Meeting.
- Read the Alabama Academy of Science Position Statement on HB 133.
- Read the press release announcing the winners of the Alabama Junior Academy of Science-
Junior Science and Humanities Symposium Competition.
- The final program for the 89th annual meeting of the Alabama Academy of Science is available now. Also, a compilation
of the Executive Committee Meeting Reports is available.
- The Spring 2012 Executive Committee meeting will take place at Tuskegee University on Wednesday, February 22nd beginning with
dinner in the Kellogg Conference Center Restaurant at 6 PM. The actual meeting will begin at approximately 7 PM. Details,
agenda, and committee report submission available here: Spring 2012 Executive Committee meeting
- A tentative schedule and program
overview for the 89th annual meeting is now available. Title and abstract submissions are currently open.
- Please consider nominating a colleague for the Fellow and Gardner Awards. The list of previous winners of these awards is also available.
- The Final Program for the 88th annual meeting of the Alabama Academy of Science is now available. Registration instructions have been posted on the Annual Meeting General Information page.
- The 88th annual meeting of the Alabama Academy of Science will be held March 2-4, 2011 on
the campus of Jacksonville State University. The AAS meeting will be held jointly with the Southeast Regional
Society for Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC). TITLE SUBMISSION ENDS FEBRUARY 1, 2011.
Submit your title now!
- The Fall Executive Committee meeting was held Saturday, October 23rd in Room 033 of the William Propst Self Building
on the Samford University campus. Here are the minutes from the meeting - Minutes Fall 2010 Executive Committee Meeting. Also, here is the
on-line agenda for reference.
- The Alabama Academy of Science (AAS) is pleased to announce the appointment of Dr. Mark T. Jones, Auburn, AL, as the 2010-2011 Gorgas-AJAS Teacher Fellow. Read more...
- The final program for the 87th annual meeting is available now.
- The Fall Executive Committee Meeting Notes are available on the Spring Executive Committee Meeting page.
- Spring Executive Committee Meeting details have been posted.
- The 87th annual meeting of the Alabama Academy of Science will be held March 30-April 1, 2010 on
the Alabama A&M campus. The title submission and abstract submission websites are available now.
- A tentative schedule and program
overview for the 87th annual meeting is now available. Also additional information and registration
is available at the Alabama A&M University meeting registration website beginning February 1, 2010.
- The abstract submission process will be available soon. Please have your title confirmation ID number handy. You should receive this number in an email when you submit your title. Deadline for abstract submission is March 15, 2010.
- The Executive Committee Reports (updated 10/26) and the Action Item Summary are available for the Fall 2009 Executive Committee Meeting.
- The University of Alabama Office of Research on Teaching in the Disciplines (ORTD) makes awards to excellent
teachers of science in K-16 in each disciplinary area. Details concerning the award, application requirements, and criteria are
available in the ORTD Application for
Teaching Science in the Disciplines Awards. The deadline for application submission is February 1, 2010.
- The Final 2009 Annual Meeting Program Booklet for the 86th annual meeting is now available.
- Enjoy pictures from the 85th Annual Meeting at Samford University: Attendees (HI-RES), Executive Committee (HI-RES).
- The Minutes from the Fall 2007 Executive Committee Meeting have been posted. You
may also download them as a PDF.
- The Revised Program for the 85th Annual Meeting has been posted. You
may also download it as a PDF.
- The latest issues of the Journal of the Alabama Academy
of Science are now available for download as PDF files.